Thursday, February 7, 2013

February Non-Fiction Blog Post


February Non-Fiction Blog Post
                   This week, I read “Censorship and Book Banning in America” by Melissa Kelly. The main idea of the text was why some books were banned, and whether book banning was a good or bad thing. In the article is says, “More recent books that were challenged according to the American Library Association include the Twilight saga due to its ‘religious viewpoint and violence’ and ‘The Hunger Games’ because it was unsuited to the age group, sexually explicit and too violent.” There’s also a group, just for America, that reads the “questionable books” and decides on whether it’s educational enough to overshadow the reasons for its ban. An elementary school in Hillsborough County, Florida, isn’t buying two books from the Harry Potter series since the topic of “witchcraft” is relevant. The principle was convinced they would receive complaints about the books, so they simply did not purchase it. These details show how books are banned, as well as the individual reasons why.
                   The author wants readers to think that book banning has been taken to a whole new level, and that if this continues, in the future we might completely ban all old books because of the smallest details. They also want us to feel frightened that all the books that this generation and generations before it have grown up with may all be banned for the smallest, and most irrelevant details. The author says, “The question that faces us in the future is 'when do we stop?' Do we remove mythology and Arthurian legends because of its references to magic? Do we strip the shelves of medieval literature because it presupposes the existence of saints? Do we remove Macbeth because of the murders and witches? I think that most would say there is a point where we must stop. But who gets to pick the point?” This technique of ‘flash forwards’ and giving us a glimpse of what we might be in for in the future worked really well for me as a reader, because it helped me side with the author’s opinion. The author wasn’t very bias, but by including a possible negative future, they sway you towards their visions and opinions without you even knowing.
                   From this article, I will take away the “fear” of losing all the books I love because of them being banned. I now know how books are banned, and some of the reasons why certain books are banned. I still think book banning is good and bad. I definitely think certain books should not be read to a young audience, unless the children have been given permission by their parents to read the books. But after a certain age, I’d say middle school and high school, depending on the maturity of the students; books shouldn’t be banned for them. Teachers can thoroughly explain the use of “questionable” words or themes, and they can benefit the students’ understanding of the time period and perspective from which the book was written. I’d like to know if there have been any book bans on a specific grade, and if any students have protested against book bans.

No comments:

Post a Comment