I
recently finished Mindy Kaling’s autobiography, Is Everyone Hanging Out
Without Me? (And Other Concerns).
It was a hilarious book about her entire life, including all the embarrassing
ups and downs that make any comedian’s autobiography worth reading. As I was
reading this book, I couldn’t help but compare it to Tina Fey’s Bossypants.
I actually thought this book was better, it gave me more of an insight into her
life and was easier to relate to- there was less of a barrier between author
and reader. I did notice that in both comedians’ books, there was a lot of
humor. It made me think that if someone is writing an autobiography, of course
they’re required to include their life’s story, but I think they’re also
required to add characteristics of their profession in the making of the book.
Many different famous people write
autobiographies, comedians, actors, scientists, bakers, etc. When a comedian
writes an autobiography, it’s usually required to be funny, and when a dramatic
actor writes an autobiography, you’d assume there to be a lot of dramatic
events in it, many long and complicated facts for a scientist, and different
steps to a baker’s biography, like in a recipe, and maybe even a recipe in the
book as well. If a baker includes a recipe in their autobiography, it’s like
when a comedian includes a joke in theirs, they’re including their talent and
profession into the book. It’s not required that you have to include the way
your profession feels to people in your book, but most people do it. I think
this is also a way of showing your readers that you love your job, and that
you’re committed to it, like it’s a part of you. I think people are sometimes
classified by their jobs, like “Mindy Kaling? She’s so funny, she’s a
comedian.” and, “Have you read Buddy Valastro’s (Cake Boss) book? It has some
recipes in it, and it talks a lot about baking. He’s a baker.”
I’d like to know more about whether
some people defy the stereotype that your job could define you, like comedians
aren’t always funny, in their
autobiographies. I think it would be really nice to read a book by a comedian,
for example, and to see a side of them that’s more serious, because I think
that would create a much stronger connection between the author and reader. I’d
also like to know what some readers’ reactions would be to a serious book by a
comedian, or a book that’s unlike what someone does in their profession, and
maybe then you can see that some people just want to read a funny book, not
actually about the author. I don’t think that this is defying what an
autobiography or a biography is all about, because people certainly do have
multiple sides to them, and I think it would be interesting to see another side
of a famous person who’s known for the side they do show to the public.
No comments:
Post a Comment