Sunday, June 2, 2013

Animal Farm


            I am currently reading Animal Farm by George Orwell for my philosophy book club. It’s a really interesting book, about animals taking over a farm and kicking out their irresponsible farmer so that they can rise above humans and eventually make animals the dominant population. As I read the book, I notice similarities between the book and historical events, such as World War Two. It seems to be an extremely obvious allegory of World War Two.
            The animals on the farm were being oppressed by their farmer, and decided to rebel in order to create their own species of animals who behave like “civilized” humans in their opinion. The allegory only begins when the animals have risen above the farmer and have kicked him out, when only the animals are living on the farm. The pigs are apparently superior and more intelligent than any of the other animals, and they’ve taken the initiative to make all of the farm’s decisions and boss around the rest of the animals. They tell the animals what to do when they’re working in the fields, and decide to save a large portion of the food for themselves. They seem to be the Nazis in this case, while the other animals appear to be the Jewish population. The pigs start to become oppressive, and the other animals are under their rule, thinking they are unable to question this oppression since the pigs are apparently so much more intelligent than the others.
            Earlier in the year, we wrote picture books on controversial issues that affect our community, like teenage homelessness for example. We had to present them to an elementary school class; so many of us chose to write allegories, stories that have a hidden meaning. I think Animal Farm has an obvious hidden meaning, since I’ve only just started reading it, I’m not sure what it is yet, but I can tell it will have one, since it’s already so similar to World War Two.

1 comment:

  1. Fiona:
    Great post! You made really good connections to yourself, and other events that have taken place throughout history, which demonstrates your understanding of the depth of the content of this book. Why do you think the author chose to make an allegory of World War II? What messages was he trying to portray to the reader about World War II? Do you have any predictions on how it will end? I am also reading a book about World War II that has animals as characters, but it is not an allegory. These depictions make the book more interesting because it allows for different interpretations on the events. Again, great job.

    ReplyDelete