January Nonfiction Blog Post
This week, I read “On Staten Island,
Relentless Bullying Is Blamed for a Teenage Girl’s Suicide” by Vivian Yee. It
talked about how 15-year old Felicia Garcia committed suicide, perhaps because
of bullying from the football team. Felicia lived in the foster care system,
and had a prior history of being a “rebellious” teenager. However, she’d seemed
fine before she committed suicide, apart from crying in the hallways once a few
days before her suicide. The football team tweeted defenses, saying they barely
knew Felicia. I think that the football team’s response using social media was
definitely not the right decision to make.
Social media and the Internet have
literally been taking over the world. Bullying has even taken a completely
different form through technology- cyber bullying. I think defending yourself
after someone has committed suicide is by itself, a selfish thing to do, you
can at least show respect for the person and have a moment to reflect on what
their lives were like, and not immediately think about how they will “get in
trouble” for it. So not only do I think
it was wrong for the football team to defend themselves so quickly, but I think
it was a really bad idea for them to use the internet to do it. People read
things differently on the Internet than how the writer intended them to be
read, and while the football team may not have intended for their comments to
sound selfish, they did. I think if there was any way for them to defend
themselves, it should have been done in an interview, or a press conference if
absolutely necessary. They brought it upon themselves to defend themselves,
when no one had asked them to, and they didn’t need to. Perhaps if they’d
waited until they’d been questioned, this situation wouldn’t have happened.
In conclusion, I think that this
football team made the wrong decision when they decided to write a comment on
Twitter about Felicia’s suicide. I wish things like this didn’t happen, and
that bullying could be less of an issue in our society. It’s something we
really don’t need and that could easily be avoided. Maybe then horrible things
like this wouldn’t happen so often. My thoughts go out to Felicia’s friends and
family.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/nyregion/suicide-of-staten-island-girl-is-blamed-on-bullying.html?ref=bullies&_r=0
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/nyregion/suicide-of-staten-island-girl-is-blamed-on-bullying.html?ref=bullies&_r=0
No comments:
Post a Comment